Week 18 Talk about a crazy week. After a couple of contraction scares, I have been released to continue on with my daily routine of work and exercise. Whew. Although Chris and I have not been too worried, as my fears have been eased with the first kicks of our little baby. I suspected movement at the beginning of my 17th week, but when it's your first baby, who's really to know for sure?? As the week progressed, if I laid on my back really still, I felt soft little thuds just below my belly button (and a little to the right to be exact). I had to be paying attention, otherwise I would miss it, but starting this past Thursday these little thuds have become a constant occurrence, if I'm laying down, sitting, or standing. I suppose once a mother recognizes the feeling of her baby, it's hard to not notice when it moves. Friends and Internet have described these feelings as "butterfly flutters", "gas bubbles", "like a feather", even the "little feet of a hamster on your hand". It's tough to really pin point the exact way in describing the first time you feel your baby, other than purely incredible. For now, I can't help but say "Hello, baby" every I feel that little thump or series of thuds. Unfortunately for Chris, our baby is still too small for him to feel him/her from the outside of my belly, but this doesn't stop Chris from keeping his hand on my stomach in high hopes to feel our baby's tiny feet.
Our baby is now the size of a sweet potato. Baby websites claim average size of a fetus at this stage of 18 weeks is 5.5 inches and 6.6 ounces. Well, at our 16.6 week ultrasound our baby measured 6.12 inches and 6 ounces (a 'little' ahead of schedule). Tall and skinny. Surprise, surprise.
*Sorry, still no baby bump picture updates at this time. Will come soon, though. Promise.

No comments:
Post a Comment