Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The almost Ultimate Happy Father's Day gift

Sunday was Chris' first unofficial Father's Day, but it could of been the best Father's Day he'd ever have, as we spent the whole day in the Labor and Delivery section of the hospital. Head's up - this post may be a long one with a few pregnancy details!

I woke up Saturday morning with the more than usual back and hip pain. I remember my abdomen feeling especially sore and tender, but nothing to write home about. I ate some cereal and went to lay back down. About an hour or two later, my back pain was so bad that it woke me up and I thought there was no way I was able to lay there any longer. As I got up and around, I noticed that the pain was starting to wrap it's way around to the front of my stomach and was becoming unbearable. Now, at this moment I am not thinking "labor" as I wasn't having any specific contractions, due to the unstoppable back pain which seemed to override any other feelings. It didn't take long before I was having difficulty walking and breathing through the pain. By now I am STILL not thinking labor as it was nothing like I had ever imagined labor to be. I tried stretching, doing some yoga's child's play, walking around the house, but nothing seemed to help. After a straight hour of this pain (along with the back and hip pain from the night before), I decided to call my doctor to see what I should do. After explaining all my symptoms and the long night I had, she told me to go to straight to the hospital and it sounded like I was definitely in labor. From pure shock and terror I instantly started crying when I told Chris it was time to go. From this point on I am very surprised at how calm we both were throughout this whole ordeal. We actually didn't leave the house until an hour later, after we had both showered and eaten. Once we made it to the hospital, I again had a moment of breakdown, not from the pain or excitement, but straight fear! I was soooo not ready for this moment! As much as I wanted to meet this child of mine, I was no where near ready for the uncertainty or pain that would unfold! At this point, we hesitated to contact anyone, still unsure on how this would all play out. Like my last doctor's appointment, I was no where near dilated yet, but the monitor read my contractions as consistent and strong. So, there was nothing to do, but wait.

 Now let me tell you, there is absolutely hands down nothing worse than back labor. A first time mom can only imagine what labor will feel like, and can pretend to know the level of pain that would be involved. I knew that the pain would be excruciating (hence I'm all for an epidural!), but in no way was I prepared for those next 7 hours!!! The unfortunate thing with back labor, is that is never stops. There is no break in between contractions. Chris would have to tell me when I was having a contraction and when it stopped because I didn't even know the difference. My level of pain varied from a 7 all the way to a 10. An absolute 10. But after 7 hours of this continuous back labor, walking the hallways, and still zero dilation, the doctors had no choice but to send me home with some pain killers in my system. Unfortunately, the hospital policy is that they can not assist in my labor (by meds or breaking my water) until I am 39 weeks or it's an emergency. Come to find out through ultrasound and my contraction patterns, our baby is head down but "sunny side up" meaning she is facing my stomach instead of my back. The 'preferred' position for delivery is anterior. The posterior position puts the back of my baby's head against my back (which creates horrific back labor) and her head not placed directly on my cervix (which is why I wasn't dilating). Here is a lovely visual aide for your convenience.You're welcome.


Posterior babies are known to cause a very long labor process that could take days or even weeks, especially if our little one doesn't turn around! So, for now, I sit at home with consistent contractions (although a little more tolerable) and all I can do is put a heating pad on my back and bounce on a yoga ball (which it suppose to help her face the other way). The only glimmer of hope I have is that my doctor said we could induce at 39 weeks if it doesn't happen naturally - so only a week and half to go (or sooner)! Thank the Lord!

 All in all Chris did not get the ultimate Father's Day he was hoping for, but he did have a great day of watching sports on cable in our hospital room and had a gift of daddy goodies (for his man diaper bag) waiting for him when we got home. Chris was amazing through the whole experience - calm and collected, all while cheering me on during those most painful contractions (he even wanted to fist bump me after one. I opted out). I am so proud of the man I married and the father he is about to be!



1 comment:

  1. I had back labor with Corah and I remember how dreadful it was! I hope your little bean rolls over for you! Corah rolled right after I got my epidural. I'm not sure if it was the position of hunching over my belly or what. It might have just been the fact that the eipi allowed me to relax? Either way I feel for you and hope she rolls!

    ReplyDelete