Sunday, November 27, 2011

Baby Scare

As I have said many times, I have constant anxiety that something will go wrong during this first trimester. There are many things that can go wrong during an entire pregnancy, but I've been focused on these next few weeks more than anything. So, as a first time expecting mother, I jump at every pain and worry about every cramp and this last Tuesday was no different. For the first time I experienced piercing pain unlike the other growing pains I have felt along the way. This pain was specific and was coming from the right side of my abdomen, where I had suspected my right ovary to be. So, of course, I googled every possibility. I know, maybe the wrong thing to do. None the less, it was official. I was convinced that I was having a tubal pregnancy. I did not sleep that night and first thing that morning I called my doctor's office to schedule an immediate ultrasound. Even though my concerns were viable, they had no room for an emergency appointment until after the holidays. Now, by this point I was no longer worried about the baby, but my own well being if this was in fact a tubal pregnancy, which can be very dangerous for a mother. Thankfully I was called back and they were able to squeeze me in to an afternoon appointment. Chris was able to get away from work and met me at the doctor's office. So, after a half hour appointment and many questions later, Chris and I walked away with this, our baby's first picture (the little blob to the left in the black bean looking circle, lol):


Our sweet baby is nestled safely in my tummy exactly where he/she should be. The heart beat is a strong 154 bpm and is 1.3 cm long, which is right on track. Research shows that if by your first ultrasound, the baby is not a week behind in those areas, then our chances for a miscarriage decrease significantly. But, again, we still have a long ways to go! The pains I was experiencing are gone now and I am fine. Also, we have found out our due date is two days before we were originally told. These past few weeks I've been starting a new week on Monday. Turns out my new week starts on Saturday, making me 8 weeks pregnant yesterday. Our new due date is set for July 7, 2012 - one day after Chris' father's birthday, who as you know, is struggling with cancer. Amazing how God works and how thankful we are :)

No comments:

Post a Comment